Chandragiri Fort - చంద్రగిరి కోట, Near Tirupathi, Chittoor

The fort was built during the 10th century by by Immadi Narasimha Yadavaraya and has been improved in later time by the Vijayanagara Kings. In the 16th century, the Aravidu dynasty of Vijaynagar shifted their capital from Hampi to Chandragiri. The 11th century fort that existed, was renovated. Chandragiri Fort was taken over by Golconda sultans in the 17th century and latter by British rulers.

Chandragiri denoting the 'Hill of the Moon', is traditionally associated with Chandra the moon god who performed penance at this place for pleasing Lord Siva. It is located 14 kms. south of the famous Hindu pilgrimage centre of Tiripati Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadavarayas for about three centuries and came into the control of Vijayanagara rulers in 1367. It rose into prominence in 1568 AD and remained as seat of power for the later Vijayanagara kings under whose reign the fortified area was further extended and some of the magnificent buildings and temples were constructed. It has many a religious structures like temples of RajaRajeswari, Venugopala, Karthikeya, Siva and Hanuman at the entrance of the fort as guardian deity; ponds,tanks, sculptured mandapas besides a well built fortification at the summit and at the foot of the hillock.

King's Palace : One of the finest examples of Indo-Saracenic architecture of Vijayanagara period, this imposing three storeyed palace adorned by the crowning towers representing certain Hindu architectural elements, was constructed with stone, brick, lime mortar and is devoid of timber. The central tower that covers durbar hall rises through two storeys. It is said to be the same venue where Sri Rangaraya granted the site of Fort St. George to the British in 1640. The floors are supported by massive pillars while the walls bear fine plaster and stucco decorations.

Queen's Palace : Similar to the Kings palace in style and method of execution, this edifice with ground floor looking like a stable and first floor containing quarters adorned with ornamental sikhara has a flat roof. Contrary to the popular belief that this place was meant for the queen or harem, the epigraphical record available from the basement speaks this building being a commander’s quarters.

This great fort stands on a huge granite rock 183m high. The ruins of palaces and temples are found in the fort. The forts and Mahals at the place are attractions for tourists. The southern side of the hill is enclosed by strong walls, surrounded by a ditch. The remains of the lower fort contain the two Mahals, the lower portion of which is built in stone and the upper in brick. The main building known as the 'Raj (Chandragiri) Mahal' is majestic in appearance. The place is a tourist friendly place and remains populated by the tourist throughout the year. Tourists can also enjoy boating in a lake right next to hill slopes.

Within the fort, the Archaeological Survey of India has established a site museum in the Raja Mahal for exhibiting the rich collection of stone/metal sculptures and other cultural vestiges retrieved from other historical places like Gudimallam (Chittoor Dt.), Gandikota (Cuddapah Dt. ) and Yaganti (Kurnool Dt.)

There are two sound and light shows in the fort premises in the Official Telugu language as well as in English.

How to Reach : Chandragiri Fort is about 54 Km from Chittoor and from Tirupathi, its 15 Km.

Postal Stamp released by India Govt :

Botting in chandragiri lake :

Chandragiri Monuments :

Hill view inside Fort